Re: oracle 8 hot backup without archivelog mode ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/07/16

"Jeffrey Schott" <jschott_at_schottconsulting.com> wrote in message news:n5Ib5.48$aO1.877_at_news3.voicenet.com...
> If you bring the tablespace offline you can perform a backup while the
 rest
> of the tablespaces are available. Unfortunately, you will be not able to
> access the tablespace that you are backing up. You may also be able to
 put
> the tablespace in "read only" mode (but I've never tried this myself).
>
> Good Luck!

This simply won't work. Oh, you'll be able to backup the datafiles associated with the offlined tablespace alright. And if you repeat the process for all your tablespaces (except SYSTEM, of course, which can never be taken offline), you'll have something that resembles a backup of all your non-system datafiles. Except that what you really have is a backup set that is internally inconsistent -different datafiles taken at different times. Once you ever try and restore one or more of these datafiles, the first thing Oracle will insist on is bringing the datafiles up to the same, consistent, time -which will require the application of archived redo logs.

For the same reason, there are a number of backup utilities that appear to be able to take backups of open datafiles. They work fine, but the timestamps on the files backed up are inconsistent with each other (and thus will require archives to be useful). Plus, because these are o/s utilities, there is no guarantee of the order in which the blocks within a datafile are copied. You therefore end up with each datafile being itself internally inconsistent.

I'm afraid there is no alternative: if you want hot backups, you MUST be in archivelog mode.

Regards
HJR

> Piotr Ga³uszkiewicz <pkg_at_poczta.fm> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Know anybody some ways or software to "hot" backup (without shutdown)
 oracle