Re: 8.1.6 install on NT vanishes

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/07/14

Steve,

I had the same problem before. Very frustrating. When I had this problem, it was due to the fact that I had the wrong environment variable setting for the CLASSPATH variable. You can modify this variable by right clicking on My Computer, choosing Properties, and selecting the Environment tab. I ended up having to remove all Oracle references from this variable. If that leaves the variable empty, you'll need to leave a semi-colon ";" as its only value. After I did this, the installer worked just fine for me. Welcome to the world of Java.....

HTH,
Brian

Steve Haynes wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A strange one this, a newly installed NT4 workstation
> with sp5 on. I try to install 8.1.6 and it chugs along
> and then just vanishes, no process left, no errors in
> the install log - nothing!
>
> I've successfully installed this on many servers/workstations
> and I can't find anything different about this one.
>
> The last thing installed according to the log is OLE DB
> something or other.
>
> It behaves the same on minimal install and typical.
>
> I have nothing to go on, I've removed the norton anti-virus
> software and checked the graphics colours=65k (old bug with some
> assistants, hey I was desperate), and installed the Microsoft
> management console, none of which made any difference.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Steve

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at