Re: How to pin a table in memory?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/07/14

Answers in-line

--

Jonathan Lewis

Howard J. Rogers wrote in message <396f1859_at_news.iprimus.com.au>...

>> The CACHE option was to tell Oracle that
>> a table that exceeded the small table threshold
>> should nevertheless be treated as a small
>> table for LRU/MRU purposes, provided it
>> also fell below cache_size (default 10% of
>> db_block_buffers).
>>

>Yup. And the enormous performance benefits from telling Oracle this
>are....?

That when a specific table is larger than a size you would normally wish to consider small, Oracle will nevertheless load it into the top end of the buffer so that it has to fall through to the LRU end, rather than cycling it through a small window and re-reading it from disc all the time. Continuous scanned access to a table will, in general, NOT keep the whole table in the buffer.

>> If the system is Oracle 8, then one option
>> is to declare a KEEP buffer pool larger
>> than the size of the table, and allocate
>> the table to the KEEP pool. Once the table
>> is pulled into the pool by non-scanning
>> activity it will stay there.
>>

>And hence the CACHE clause is....
>
>useless?

Which is why Oracle has been telling us since the year dot (I mean, since Oracle 8 came out) to use the KEEP buffer pool and not to use the CACHE clause. In fact if you use the CACHE clause with Oracle 8 (.0.5 particularly) you can blast the entire db_block_buffer with the contents of a single large table. So you should definitely NOT use the CACHE clause. The entire buffer management system has changed dramatically for 8.1, though, so all bets are off at that point.