Re: how to determine cause of deadlock

From: Jay M. Scheiner <jxs_at_wolpoff_nospm_law.com>
Date: 2000/07/14

I have seen many references to INITRANS but have yet to find an explantion that I can understand. Can someone explain what this setting does? Thanks.

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:43:21 +0100, "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>You can get 'no row' deadlocks when the INITRANS
>value on a table is too low. If the block is full and has
>INITRANS=1, and you get two processes trying to
>change the block, then the second has to wait for
>the first to commit so that it can acquire the 'ITL'
>(interested transaction list) slot. This is a little
>unlikely with inserts only.

Jay M. Scheiner
Programmer/Analyst
Wolpoff & Abramson, LLP
remove _nospm_ from email address
Opinions are my own only! Received on Fri Jul 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT