Re: How to Migrate?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/07/13

To migrate from one platform to another, you are "stuck" with two basic methods. The most popular method would be to:

  1. Create the database on the new platform.
  2. Export the database on the old platform.
  3. FTP the export file to the new platform.
  4. Import the file into the new database. The other method involves create database links and using the COPY command or the CREATE TABLE AS SELECT command. Personally, I'd suggest the export/import method. For more information, you might try the Oracle 8 Migration Guide. You can get a copy on Technet (http://technet.oracle.com).

HTH,
Brian

Patrick Nicholls wrote:

> Anyone know if there's a simply instruction guide somewhere (or even a
> top-level walkthrough) on how to migrate an Oracle 8i database from an
> NT server to a Solaris Cluster? Any help or guidance would be
> appreciated.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Brian Peasland