Re: Default schema name

From: <karsten_schmidt8891_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/13

Jaco,

 there is no such thing as a 'default schema'.  objects are created in the current users schema, unless their name is fully specified, e.g. schema.object.

 as far as accessing objects goes, you can use public synonyms, the object they point to is used, if the current user has access privilegues to it (e.g. grant select on public_synonym_name to public;), and no object with that name exists in the current users schema.

HTH Karsten

In article <396d4e0b$0$779_at_proctor>,
  "Jaco Grobler" <jacog_at_pillar.co.za> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I would like to know if there are a way to efine a default schema name
> other than the users own schema for a userid. I come from a Sybase
> background where you can create a object in the dbo. schema and if no
 schema
> name are supplied when trying to access the object and the object
 does not
> exist in the users schema it will go and look for the object in the
 dbo
> schema
>
> We are busy converting to Oracle but are experiencing problems with
 trying
> to access objects in a certain schema without specifying the schema
 name.
> The existing stored procs etc. do not use the schema name and it will
 be
> quit a lot of work having to place the schema name in front of every
 object.

> TIA
> Jaco Grobler

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jul 13 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT