Re: sql loader

From: John Kloss <jkloss_at_sapiens.wustl.edu>
Date: 2000/07/12

mike doherty wrote:

> I have a table in the Sybase database table called "dNSP". This table has 2
> fields called Terms and Justificationcomments which are of datatype text and
> have a length of 16. I am using a BCP Utility to save the contents of the
> table to a tab delimited flat file. Then, I am using SQL*Loader to load the
> contents of the flat file to a table in Oracle. However, it loads only 36177
> records out of a total of 46578 records. Looking at the log file, it
> complains about the lengths of the Terms and Justification fields. The
> message is "Fields in data file exceeded maximum specified length". I have
> specified the two fields to be of type varchar2(2000) in the Oracle table.
> After analyzing the two fields of the "dNSP" table in the Sybase, the length
> of the "Terms" field is 1930 characters and the length of the
> "JustificationComments" field is 300 characters. Therefore, I should have
> enough space to accomodate the two fields in the Oracle table since the two
> fields are of type varchar2(2000) respectively So, why am I getting the
> message "Fields in data file exceeded maximum specified length"?

What does your control file say? I think the default length for CHAR in the sqlldr
control file is 256 so if you have

(terms CHAR,
 justificationcomments CHAR)

then your stuck with the default size. Try

(terms CHAR(2000),
 justificationcomments CHAR(500) )

and see what happens.

	John Kloss <jkloss_at_sapiens.wustl.edu>
	Genome Sequencing Center, Washington University

	System Administrator, Database Administrator, Programmer
		... and all around good guy.