Re: Angst! OAS 4.0.8.1 & Forms 6i

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/07/11

James,

First of all, you need to make sure that you are using Forms Server, not Forms. They are two different products. I know that Forms 6i is relatively new and I'm not sure if Forms 6i Server is out yet.

When you have the correct product, you must install Forms (and Reports) Server in a seperate ORACLE_HOME from OAS. These two products MUST be in seperate homes! The basic method to get everything set up is to do the following:

  1. Install all software.
  2. Set up OAS to server the HTML page. You'll want to serve the STATIC.HTML page provided with Forms.
  3. Start the Forms Listener.
  4. Configure the STATIC.HTML page to call your form and point to the port your Forms Listener is listening on.
  5. Install JInitiator on the client side.
  6. Point the client's web browser to the STATIC.HTML page on your OAS box.

That's the basics. I admit that it is slightly more complicated than that. Most of the instructions that I've received from the distribution media and from Oracle's web sites have been wrong. I had to call Oracle Support to get help. They sent me a completely different set of instructions which seemed to work properly.

And you don't need to install anything called "C Web".

HTH,
Brian

James wrote:

> Hi All,
> Apologies in advance if this isn't quite the right group, but I
> couldn't
> see a more appropriate one. I have had major problems trying to get Oracle
> Application Server 4.0.8.1 to talk to Forms 6i on NT. I can't seem to find
> definitive instructions on what needs to be done in order for these products
> to work together. I can get OAS serving PL/SQL pages no problem, but when
> it
> comes to installing Forms I'm at a loss. Some documentation says you need to
> install OAS in it's own ORACLE_HOME, some say they both must be installed in
> the same one - by a different user! The installation of the actual
> cartridge
> is an even bigger mystery in that metalink documents say it should be
> installed as "C Web" - but Oracle's helpdesk seem to think it doesn't
> require
> installation at all! I realise this is a fairly new product but I can't
> believe it's so awkward.
> Please can someone tell me what the correct answer is? I'm sure there must
> be
> one.
> Any suggestions would be a great help.
> Thanks in advance