Performance problem with dates in Personal Oracle 7.3.3

From: brian <brian.pacitti_at_btinternet.com>
Date: 2000/07/11

I have a table with a timestamp column of type DATE - the column has a non unique index defined. When I use this column in a where clause, e.g WHERE datecolumn >= startdate and datecolumn < enddate, the performance is dire.

As a test I created another column to type varchar2 and set this to a string conversion of the date field. When I use this string column in the where clause the performance is OK. i.e. a few milliseconds compared to 9 secs for the date field. Also I can do queries with wild card searched on other string columns no problem. Is there a known issue with Personal Oracle 7.3.3 with date types ???

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Brian Received on Tue Jul 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT