Re: ** Please read urgent: Help needed on create index ***

From: EnderW <ender29_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/10

In article <8kd8v7$52a$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   oratune_at_aol.com wrote:
> In article <8kd6ha$31s$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> EnderW <ender29_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> > I am still waiting for an answer. Any clues ?
> >
> > In article <8jj347$t5d$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > EnderW <ender29_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> > > The table is composed of several rows. I am indexing on two rows.
 The
> > > structure similar to this
> > >
> > > mytable
> > > id number(38)
> > > anotherid number(9)
> > > yetanotherid number(9)
> > > .... more fields
> > >
> > > the command is
> > >
> > > create index index_mytable on my_table
> > > (
> > > anotherid desc,
> > > yetanotherid desc
> > > )
> > > nologging
> > > parallel (degree default)
> > > storage (initial 32M next 32M maxextents unlimited)
> > > /
> > >
> > > Soon as I run it, I get the error. When I take off parallel, it
> > > disappears and later I can do alter index index_mytable parallel
> > > and see it is been set to default parallelism. Am I missing
 something
 ?
> > > Hopefully yes

 could
 post

> > > --
> > > Ender Wiggin
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> > >

> > --
> > Ender Wiggin
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> I have tried to recreate your error using similar syntax on a test
 table
> in 8.1.5 and I cannot. Do you receive an error when querying this
 table
> after the index has been made parallel? I am at a loss as to the root
> cause of this problem.
> --
> David Fitzjarrell
> Oracle Certified DBA

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

No, I still get the same error when I try to create the same index parallel but the point is I am puzzled how I can set parallelism to default with no problem by using alter index.

In my view, alter index to set default parallelism shouldnot work either.

I have been getting strange sigsegv errors when I run a query on this table. Actually the product I have been using uses this index but I have modified the index to optimize the performance by making it descending instead of ascending. After that I have started getting oracle alerts on a certain query that uses this table. I havenot done an explain plan on the query to see whether it uses that index but I am at a loss to why I am getting this sigsegv errors on that query. So I am thinking somehow this error is linked to that error and if I can understand either one of them, I could be a step closer to solving the problem.