Re: NT/BMC/ORACLE Question

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_doial.pipex.com>
Date: 2000/07/10

This is not going to be the most positive of messages...

I believe that the answer to your question is that you can't. do what you want.

os authentication, which is what you want to use for no password for internal operations, by definition assumes that you trust the security setup of your os. If you don't trust the nework os setup then you will have to use Oracle authentication which requires a password. You can of course setup scripts which contain or are passed the password in clear text, but the your sys admins could read the password anyway. The suggestion to try starting and stopping the relevant services I have found is not always reliable, I haven't checked under exactly what circumstances this can fail but I have seen it too many times to entirely trust this approach.

Personally I would never select a backup product that was ignorant of the databases security features, it just doesn't inspire confidence does it.

HTH a bit anyway

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
"Cece Russell" <cecerussell_at_prodigy.net> wrote in message

> Please reply to my email address of jamesrussell_at_prodigy.net .
> I used my wife's email account to post this. Thanks.
>
> "Cece Russell" <cecerussell_at_prodigy.net> wrote in message
> >
> > I need the help of someone, anyone who is familiar with Oracle8 on NT.
In
> > particular, I set up the environment on NT so that I could log onto
svrmgr30
> > as internal without a password. This was done so that a BMC product
> > (SQLBACKTRACK, used to backup Oracle) could use svrmgr30 to shutdown and
> > startup the database without having to supply a password for internal.
This
> > was a requirement of the product.
> >
> > Now I am faced with a problem. To do this I had to do three things:
set a
> > parameter in the sqlnet.ora file, set a parameter in the init.ora file,
> > create an NT group called ora_dba and grant membership to the account
that
> > owns the database to this group. Now anyone with administrative
privileges
> > on NT can place any NT account into this group. Anyone who is a member
of
> > this group (they do not need explicit privileges on the Oracle directory
or
> > files) can execute svrmgr30 and log on as internal without a password.
They