Re: MS SQL server VS Oracle

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_doial.pipex.com>
Date: 2000/07/10

"Rich Mycroft" <rich.mycroft_at_synchrologic.com> wrote in message news:_yk95.6092$%J6.13363_at_newsfeed.slurp.net...
> OK, my 2 cents - and this is probably a dangerous group to be mentioning
> this in, but...
>
> MS pricing is thick in my opinion - their major advantage was lower cost
> get going and generally lower cost to keep running. Jacking up the price
 is
> going to eliminate one of their major advantages.

I tend to agree. I have been concerned for a while that Oracle were shooting themselves in the foot with their pricing strategy, especially with Ent Edition. The move by MS if correctly reported give sme some reassurance about employers future purchasing decisions.

>. The
> biggest problem I had in performance was related more to the db design
> rather than to SQL Server.

This is probably true for 80% of RDBMS systems . no matter what product is used.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA