Re: PCTFREE

From: Ethan Post <epost1NOepSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/07/08

The reason I was confused is that I ran two tests.

  1. Create table with varchar2(100) and inserted 10,000 values of "A", analyzed table and then got size, then inserted 10,000 values of "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" and table was much bigger.
  2. Did this with number datatype, inserted 0 then 99999999999999999 (a huge number) and size was same on both. Did not specify a size for the number on create table statement.

I agree with the disk space, I'm really just clearing up any thoughts I have on this I'm not really that concerned with lowering %free. I tested on a table (500 MB) and recovered about 5% of the total table size.

Thanks!

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Sat Jul 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT