Re: PCTFREE

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/07/08

"Ethan Post" <epost1NOepSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message news:16870940.8cadbd2c_at_usw-ex0101-008.remarq.com...
> My mistake I meant lower. Since the char fields are fixed I only
> need to deal with the number fields on 90% of the tables. The
> usual update is pretty small, a 0 values gets updated to 100170
> to represent a date, or quantities get added, but for the most
> part we are talking very small numbers. I think I feel pretty
> safe lowering it to about 2% and just watching for chaining.

You mean migration. Incidentally, number is a variable length field, so having lots of number fields does indeed place you at risk from row migration. All depends on whether you update the contents of those fields after the initial load, of course.

Personally, I'd buy more hard disk space, and put PCTFREE into the 10-20 range, but then I don't have to worry about budgets ;-)

Regards
HJR