Re: Can someone please give me a hand...

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: 2000/07/08

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 23:48:06 GMT, nitefrog_at_yahoo.com (The NiteFrog.-) wrote:

>Now I know that sum() if the total size of free space left in the
>tablespace

Correct.

>and the max() and count() not to sure.

Max(bytes) tells you the biggest contiguous "chunk" of free space available. Count() tells you the number of fragments of free space.

>mentioned the if the contiguous is greater than 10 to 15 you should
>defragment the tablespace.

10 to 15 what? Percent? Where did you get this "recipe"?

>So how do you tell? Do you subtract
>max-sum? I just dont get it.

Don't worry that much. Instead of following canned "recipes", concentrate instead on WHY the tablespace free space is being fragmented.

Are the applications creating lots of tables and dropping them? Then give them a SPECIFIC tablespace to do that on, instead of messing up the allocation of your more static tables.

Are the applications deleting or truncating lots of tables? Good, move those tables to their DEDICATED tablespace.

Isolate the disrupting elements. Then you can control them. Don't let them mess up your more stable elements. Sounds like a government rule, eh? Yes, in a way it is a society!

Once you get things under control, then you can look at defragging free space. Guess what? Once they are isolated, all you really need is a COALESCE, instead of a painfull exp/clear/imp.

"Recipes" and books help, but you'll be much better off in the long run by thinking by yourself and solving the problems in a rational way. Remember, anyone can be a "trained monkey", it's the ones that take the time to understand what they are doing that make it big time.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Sat Jul 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT