Re: Redo-Log Archiv Problem

From: Toby T. <eric_petersonNOerSPAM_at_maurices.inrg.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/07/07

We experienced the same sort of problem. We added redo groups and increased their size. It helped to a degree, but, was not the total answer. What we ended up finding was that our DBWR could not keep up when checkpoints were occuring freqeuntly. This was occuring mainly in our nightly batch. What we ended up doing was keeping our increased number and size of our logs and increasing the number of DBWR_IO_SLAVES in the init.ora. Perform the following query:
select substr
(event,1,40) "EVENT",total_timeouts "TIMEOUTS",total_waits "WAITS "
from v$system_event
/
and look for a checkpoint incomplete statistic, I don't remember what it's called since I have not seen the stat in quite a while. If there are more in this statistic than what's in the alert log, it's a good indication that your DBWR can not keep up on checkpoints.

HTH,
Eric Peterson
"Kathinka Diehl" <kathinka_at_rrr.de> wrote:

>Mark D Powell <mark.powellNOmaSPAM_at_eds.com.invalid> schrieb:
>
>> Adding another disk or stripping may be necessary.
>
>You are right. I have looked in an old alert-file an saw the
 message:

>Threat 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence 175606
>All online logs need archiving
>
>But that was together with the 'out of diskspace'-O/S-Error and
 the complete
>database stops (sic!). Afer removing some archivelog-files
 everything went
>on.
>
>Have a nice weekend
>Kathinka

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Fri Jul 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT