NT/BMC/ORACLE Question

From: Cece Russell <cecerussell_at_prodigy.net>
Date: 2000/07/07

I need the help of someone, anyone who is familiar with Oracle8 on NT. In particular, I set up the environment on NT so that I could log onto svrmgr30 as internal without a password. This was done so that a BMC product (SQLBACKTRACK, used to backup Oracle) could use svrmgr30 to shutdown and startup the database without having to supply a password for internal. This was a requirement of the product.

Now I am faced with a problem. To do this I had to do three things: set a parameter in the sqlnet.ora file, set a parameter in the init.ora file, create an NT group called ora_dba and grant membership to the account that owns the database to this group. Now anyone with administrative privileges on NT can place any NT account into this group. Anyone who is a member of this group (they do not need explicit privileges on the Oracle directory or files) can execute svrmgr30 and log on as internal without a password. They can do the same thing with sqlplus.

How can I secure things on NT so that only the NT account that installed the software can log on as internal without a password? Any ideas?

Please reply to my email account if at all possible.

Thank you very much.

Jim Russell Received on Fri Jul 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT