Re: Oracle DBA Resume

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/07/07

        All you have to do is go to an Oracle user group or a DPMA meeting and state "I am an Oracle DBA with over a years experience and I would like to change jobs." The recruiters will attempt to lure you with tales of big bucks, wonderful working conditions, and whatever. So who needs a resume?

        Seriously, there are many opinions on what a resume should look like.  I prefer a reverse chronological format, that is, start with your current job and work backwards. The order should be job history, education and specialized training, other special qualifications, e.g. OCP, and finally what I call "the laundry list", that is a list of Operating Systems, Hardware, and Software products you are familiar with. Do not include anything pertaining to salary, hobbies, non-professional memberships, etc.

        Bear in mind that the purpose of a resume is to get you an interview. I have found that the laundry list section has been especially useful in getting me interviews since many HR departments and recruiting firms are scanning resumes and then using software that does keyword searches.