How to move all files (datafiles, redo, ctrl)

From: Stefano Unternaehrer <stefano.unternaehrer_at_ti.ch>
Date: 2000/07/06

Hello dbadmins!

I received some brand new disks and reorganized the server with new logical volumes. I want now to move files from the original path to a new one.
I know, moving non-system datafiles is quite easy:

   svrmgrl> connect internal
   svrmgrl> shutdown immediate
   svrmgrl> startup exclusive mount
   svrmgrl> alter tablespace ... offline
   unix: cp /old/data.dbf /new/data.dbf
   svrmgrl> alter tablespace ... rename '/old/data.dbf' to '/new/data.dbf'

   svrmgrl> shutdown
   svrmgrl> startup
   unix: rm /old/data.dbf

But what about the system.dbf file? Do I have to create a new database? And what about redo logfiles and control files? Simply move and update the init.ora file?

Thank you for any reply.
Best regards,
Stefano

Stefano Unternaehrer                    Informatico Sbt - DBA/SysAdmin
Sistema bibliotecario ticinese     c/o Biblioteca Cantonale Bellinzona
Viale Stefano Franscini 30a        6501 Bellinzona  Ticino Switzerland
voice +41 (0)91 814 15 13                    paper +41 (0)91 814 15 09
mailto:stefano.unternaehrer@ti.ch      homepage: http://www.sbt.ti.ch/

--
Posted from dalia.ti.ch [193.246.181.29]