Re: Larry Ellison comments on Microsoft's benchmark

From: Blair Kenneth Adamache <adamache_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: 2000/07/06

Ivana, has OPS been used to publish a recent TPC-C benchmark? The top ten only seems to have Oracle 8i and Oracle 7 results. The only OPS result I can find is from 12/98, somewhere around 37th place (shown below).

If could beg a small indulgence, Ms. Humpalot, does OPS run into some scaling difficulties because of shared disk? My view of HA on shared nothing is that if you have 12 nodes, each node can be backed up in a mutual takeover configuration by 1-11 other nodes (depending on whether you cluster for HA pair wise, or use something more complex). No need for a distributed lock manager to resolve who owns the disk. NODE A dies - NODE B takes over. In shared disk, NODE A dies, and NODE B fights with other nodes using that disk to save the work that NODE A was doing. 12 times as likely to fail? Perhaps, but far less likely to run into contention for shared devices, as nothing gets shared.

I should also state my bias, and point out that Blair Kenneth Adamache is not my real name (actually it is, but I am trying to get my coworkers to address me as "Ensign").

The OPS result I could find:

Compaq ProLiant 6500-PDC/01000
TPC-C Rev 3.5
Report Date: 12/23/98

Total System Cost                                       TPC-C
Throughput
Price/Performance
1692980.00 US $
33935.90
49.88

Database Manager: Oracle 8 Parallel Server v 8.05 Operating System: Windows NT 4.0

  CPU:            Intel Pentium II Xeon 400 MHz
  # of CPUs:            16
  Cluster:             Y