Re: No foreign keys??? What the???

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: 2000/07/06

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:31:48 -0400, "Jim Gregory" <JG200024_at_NCR.com> wrote:

>And of course, no one EVER updates the DB directly with SQL
>
>Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu> wrote in message
>>
>> In other cases the integrity constraints are subtle. I find the best way
>> control data integrity is at the application level where the data
>> representation is actually being manipulated and the more important subtle
>> checks can be performed as assertions within the code. Rather than at the
>> database level where only a crude understanding of the data being
 represented
>> is available.

Yeah!

The interesting thing is that these are the same people that 10 years ago were raising an absolute STINK that relational databases didn't have integrity, yadda yadda. Now that one has proper integrity, while others fudge it, all of a sudden it's not "needed" anymore...

Says a lot for the level of technology behind these fake "know-it-all" applications!

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Thu Jul 06 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT