dbverify fallible?

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_i84.net>
Date: 2000/07/05

I have encountered a situation where dbverify reports that a datafile is fine, yet selecting from a table yields a corrupted block error. I remember somewhere in Oracle education or something I read that dbverify is not entirely accurate, sort of comparable to "estimate statistics". In other words, if dbverify reports a problem, you definitely have one, if it doesn't however, you still might.. Does anyone know exactly how dbverify works? I think even Oracle themselves say that it's not perfect. Couldn't find any specifics in the manuals, but I recall something like it checks the header and footer checksums for each block without checking anything inbetween. Can anyone confirm or deny? Site supporting official documentation or links?

Thanks,
Dc. Received on Wed Jul 05 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT