Sun Solaris 2.6/5.6, Oracle 8.0.6 and SHMMAX

From: S. Anthony Sequeira <Sequeira_at_lineone.net>
Date: 2000/07/04

Hi,

    I have come in to a site where Oracle 8.0.6 is installed on a Sun Solaris (2.6/5.6) machine with 1GB RAM 2GB swap.

    The SHMMAX kernel parameter is set to 25% of the value recommended by Oracle.

    The customer claims that when they set it to Oracle's recommended value, it refused to boot (the kernel panicked). They also claim that they were told by Sun support that Oracle's recommended value
(approximately 4GB), is too large for a machine with only 3GB memory
(including swap).

    I am sure that I have managed to set this parameter to Oracle's value on machines with less memory than this one, but I may be wrong.

    Any comments?

    TIA. Tony

--
S. Anthony Sequeira

Totally committed to the fifty bucks

Opinions expressed herein are my own and do
not necessarily represent those of my employer