Re: Oracle 8.0 install on Red Hat 6.1

From: Richard Senior <richard_at_r-senior.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/07/02

In article <Xgx75.26538$_b3.619086_at_newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,

        "dave bessire" <me_at_some.where> writes:

> Hello. i've been trying to install Oracle 8.0.? on Red Hat 6.1. The
> installation instructions tell me to recompile the kernel with some
> different shared memory settings.
>
> Could anyone direct me to some good resources on how to go about doing this?

The installation guide on the Oracle CD gives the two headers files you need to change and which values. You've probably read that part already. The steps to recompiling the kernel are, very briefly:

  1. Make sure you have the kernel source RPM installed (kernel-source-<version>.rpm), and not just the headers (kernel-headers-<version>.rpm)
  2. Edit those files described in the Oracle docs.
  3. Run 'make config' and answer the questions.
  4. Run 'make dep' and 'make clean'
  5. Run 'make modules' and 'make modules_install'
  6. Run 'make' and 'make install'
  7. Reboot. 'uname -rv' should tell you if you are on the new kernel. If not, you need to check how Lilo is set up.

It's not that difficult, but you need to answer the questions correctly in step 3. This is not difficult if you know what you need. There will be a HOWTO guide to doing this on your RedHat documentation CD, if you have one, or from the Linux Documentation Project website (http://www.sunsite.unc.edu/mdw and mirrors). Alternatively you can rely on the help given with each question, which is generally good.

Kernel recompilation is usually OK, but having a rescue disk is a good idea. Another possible pitfall is if you are using the machine as an NFS server. You may find that you break NFS server capabilities by compiling a new kernel yourself.

Feel free to mail me if you get stuck.

--
Regards,

Richard Senior