Re: Lies, Damned Lies, Statistics, Marketing Departments

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_nc.prestige.net>
Date: 2000/07/02

You can say that if you like and as has been stated <some> of the TPC numbers can only be generated in a lab environment. If AIX is so good, then why do 56% of the worlds stockmarkets use Alpha, OpenVMS and Rdb... not ORACLE7/8. Why, because it doesn't break and it doesn't crash. I have seen many VMS systems that once tuned properly don't get rebooted for months and even yearS at a time. They just work... and scalable? Try 16-256 nodes in a true cluster (where all disks are available 100% of the time) and Pb worth of disk. I don't ever recall seeing an AIX system with a PetaBytes worth of disk space. (An NFS mounted filesystem cannot be considered a cluster as some UNIXes would have you believe).

Michael Austin