Re: ref vs embeded objects

From: John Hatcher <j.hatcher_at_virgin.net>
Date: 2000/07/02

It depends on what you're trying to do. If you're design is something that uses composition, I would use an embed object. In this way, destroying the whole would destroy the parts (e.g. If your design of a car object made it composed of an engine, wheels, doors, etc., then destroying the car would destroy the parts). If however, your design were to use aggregation or association, then the car design in the above would mean that the parts can exist after the car is destroyed, i.e. you can refer (or reference) to them in other cars (but ensure you don't share the same engine at the same time with many cars!).

John.