Re: Larry Ellison comments on Microsoft's benchmark

From: Richard Waymire <rwaymir_at_ibm.net>
Date: 2000/07/02

Yes, it's true, I work for Microsoft. However, I don't represent them on the newsgroups - I'm here of my own volition.

BTW - yes, the biggest/newest numbers in fact use Windows 2000 and COM+.

--
Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE+I, MCSD, MCDBA
"Michael D. Long" <lead_dog_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> [...]
> 4 Svr = 6,000 cu (+2,000 cu increment, or 4.61 x base)
>
> If I saw a trend like this in one of my benchmarks, it would raise
> serious questions about my environment. I would retest a number
> of times and if the pattern was inconsistent then the underlying
> cause should be determined, the problem(s) corrected and all tests
> run again. **I am not saying that the trend isn't possible, just that
> I have never observed this type of trend in scaling any solution.**
> This indicates to me that the testing process is out of control.
>
> 2. Figures 8/10 and 9/11 show similar trends that would lead me to
> believe that the solution has run out of steam at 3 servers. The
> response time takes a serious up-turn at approximately 7,000 users
> in both cases; were the 4th server to have a beneficial impact on
> system throughput then the trend should be more in-line with the
> difference between Figures 4/6 and 6/8.
>
> Even the difference between the 2 and 3 server tests indicate an
> underlying bottleneck, as the increase in throughput is much smaller
> than from 1 to 2 servers. Without statistics from the database server
> and network it is impossible to state with certainty the cause, but
> F&M Stocks does use MTS (distributed) transactions which results in
> a higher degree of serialization and is the most likely cause.
>
> I also realize that the NSTL document is qualified as "Preliminary
> Testing Results", and that the final results may differ. Note that
> I have requested a final version but have had no response.
>
> I know that Microsoft *can* deliver decent technology. The problem is
> that management / marketing is on a mission to sell technologies that
> your developers are not using in their benchmarks.
>
> This presents a problem for ISV's - the customer demands a particular
> implementation (based on Microsoft literature) even when an alternative
> solution should be delivered. When real world results do not live up to
> the expectations based on marketing hype, the customer looks to the
> ISV as the source of the problem.
>
> My reason for attending the conference was that I have found the limits
> of MTS / COM+ in a production environment (of a Fortune 100) using
> Oracle as the back-end, and I wanted to learn how the benchmarks were
> implemented. As I expected, the top results did not use MTS (distributed
> transactions) - though most customers and industry analysts seem to
> believe the contrary.
>
> BTW, I noticed the alphabet soup in your signature. The only thing
> missing is "Microsoft employee". I realize you might be posting from
> home, but everyone reading this thread doesn't recognize you.
>
> --
> Michael D. Long
> http://extremedna.homestead.com
>

> "Richard Waymire" <rwaymir_at_ibm.net> wrote in message
> > The data is partitioned across each node for key tables. If a node
fails
> > any queries against the distributed partitioned view will fail (but
NEVER
> > return incorrect results). Hence the recommendation to run each node in
an
> > MSCS failover cluster.
> >
> > Is shared-nothing clustering good for general systems? Ask just about
every
> > VERY large system in a cluster (Tandem, DB2, etc.).
> >
> > For an objective opinion on such matters, please read some relevant
material
> > such as "In Search of Clusters" by Pfister from IBM Corp. You might
also
> > look up some slides, etc. from Doctor Jim Gray
> > (http://research.microsoft.com/~gray/). Before you dismiss the site
because
> > it's on Microsoft's web page, look at this credentials (including the
Turing
> > award).
> >
> > --
> > Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE+I, MCSD, MCDBA
> > "Alexander Penev" <webmaster_at_penev.com> wrote in message
> > > What do you mean? Is the data partitioned along the 12 nodes or not?
Will the
> > > whole system fail if one of the nodes fails? Are this issues good for
a for a
> > > general purpose system or not? That's what Ellison says and i think
it's just
> > > true. If you think it's not please explain us why. I would not read
hundreds
> > > of c++ code without knowing what i'm looking for...

You can see it

http://www.tpc.org/results/FDR/Tpcc/compaq.8500.96p.00021702.fdr.pdf

Report,
Microsoft's