Modifying tnsnames.ora without using SQLNet Configurator.

From: Liam Caffrey <eosys-nospam_at_eircom.net>
Date: 2000/07/01

I need to be able to modify the tnsnames.ora with a text editor and change the time whereever so that SQLNet Easy Configurator doesn't realise that the file was changed by an entity of than the Configurator.

Where does the configurator keep the the last edit timestamp, is it possible to trick the Configurator into thinking that it made the change rather than notepad.exe for example.

I need to role out an application to about 100 users and I wanted to use InstallShield to modify directly the tnsnames.ora file without the user having to fiddle with the configurator. Is this possible?

Maybe there is a more appropriate deployment strategy - network based tnsnames.ora? Bear in mind that a lot of users will already be using their own local tnsnames.ora with entries for other legacy Oracle instances.

Regards

Liam Caffrey
Change the "ten" to "net" before sending. eosys_at_eircom.ten Received on Sat Jul 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT