Re: JDBC - Oralce

From: Joseph Weinstein <joe_at_weblogic.com>
Date: 2000/06/30

dracula wrote:
> Hi,
> In order to reduce the size of my applet, I would like to know if
> there are files which are not necessary in the classes111.zip
> file for a JDBC connection to Oracle 7.3.4
> Thanks in advance
> David

There may be some classes tht are unneeded for a given usage profile of the client. it is an inherent inefficiency of this architecture, that an applet doing JDBC needs to download a full general SQL query tool in order to do one simple query.

   You can find out what gets used if you unzip the zip, and have the server use the expanded class tree. Turn on the verbose flag at the server to see what classes get downloaded for what you are doing. Then you can perhaps make an abbreviated zip, containing only the classes you saw you needed. Beware though that the driver wasn't written to support modularity at this level, so it's internal cros-dependencies may mean that much of the driver needs to be downloaded.

   The ultimate solution is a multi-tier architecture, leaving the JDBC in the middle layers, with your applet just sending the query and getting results in HTML format. The middle tier will ultimately cache the data so the DBMS isn't necessarily referred to at all to satisfy a given client request.

Joe Weinstein at BEA

--

PS: Folks: BEA WebLogic is in S.F., and now has some entry-level positions for
people who want to work with Java and E-Commerce infrastructure products. Send