Good MULTICAST IP address for Oracle OAS

From: <argosy22_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/30

HI all,

We are running Sun 5.6 / Solaris 2.6.

I'm reading the docs for installing Oracle OAS server, 4.0.8, before installing it. There is a point that asks it for a MULTICAST address.

The docs say that the valid range is:
225.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255

ifconfig -a gives:

$ /usr/sbin/ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 8232

        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
hme0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

        inet 38.165.190.97 netmask ff000000 broadcast 38.255.255.255

This machine would only talk to one other on the 38 network, and I expect that it will be standalone for the most part.

Our network/security gurus have no idea what multicast is. And I can't find much specific on multicast IPs. At least as far as this question is concerned.

I'm wondering:
- what commands would I run, or files would I check to
find out what specific multicast addresses are already configed?
- what would a good multicast IP address be for Oracle OAS?

Thanks,

Argosy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jun 30 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT