Re: Storage/Tuning Questions for large tables

From: tstrah <tstrah_at_tteklogix.com>
Date: 2000/06/29

Mike:

1,2) There are two school of thought:

  1. have a big initial extent, save CPU by not extending the tables constantly. You will get defragmentation
  2. insure that each extent is the same size ( %increase=ZERO ) then when extents are freed up they can be re-used since they are the exact size required. There is some optimal sizing formula that I don't have off hand. You don't have to defrag with this one, but more CPU usage with continual table extending
  3. You only need a big rollback segment, if the program does few commits, i.e. if you do a commit after each delete you're fine, as long as your records are a normal size. Regards Tim <mikea730_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8j9ihd$n57$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...