Re: Larry Ellison comments on Microsoft's benchmark

From: Norris <jcheong_at_cooper.com.hk>
Date: 2000/06/29

In oracle, in case of data/index corruption, you can use Export/Import to resolve the optimization and defragmentation. Usually, you do it less frequent than DBCC because Oracle performs the database consistency check automatically for every update.

In comp.databases.sybase William Dutton <william.dutton_at_fmr.com> wrote: > Has SQL resolved issues with table and index corruption on large tables?

> I have databases in 6.5 and 7.0.  I get a LOT of corruption on large tables with
> 10 or more indexes in 6.5.  7.0 seems to be much more stable but that is more of
> a data wharehouse situation without a lot of inserts/deletes affecting indexes.

> It seems to me that Oracle has none of these problems.  I know of no tool like
> DBCC to correct corruption issues with Oracle and have never seen the need for > it.

> Charles Wagner wrote:

>> SQL Server 2000 is amazing and the Larry Ellison, and DB2 camp are scaried.
>> SQL Server 2000 will also fully support XML with OpenXML. The T-SQL is
>> going to allow you to write your own functions (and not just in VBScript).
>> With the Application Center 2000 software clustering will be seemless.
>> Oracle will choke and although I love IBM, DB2 better look out. Microsoft
>> will provide SQL Server 2000, Biztalk Server, and Web Services. Can you say
>> "developers paradise".
>>
>> Chuck
>>
>> Norris <jcheong_at_cooper.com.hk> wrote in message
>> > Do you mean only very large databases like Tandem, DB2, SQLServer can
 provide
>> > shared-nothing clustering technology?

 NEVER

 Turing