Re: Storage/Tuning Questions for large tables

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/06/28

--

Jonathan Lewis

mikea730_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <8jb5tb$vrs$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...

>So if I hear what your saying is store a days worth of data in each
>partition/tablespace? We need to keep 40 days depth, would that mean
>40 datafiles? then I could just drop the partition???

That would be 40 table partitions, plus a couple spare - not necessarily 40 data files. create table XYX ( dated date, etc... ) partition by range (dated) ( partition p_2000_151 values less than (to_date('22-jun-2000','dd-mon-yyyy')) tablespace monday_data, partition p_2000_152 values less than (to_date('23-jun-2000','dd-mon-yyyy')) tablespace tuesday_data, etc. )
>One problem is that the data continually trickles in. It might be
>difficult to make a "clean" break between the days.

A clean break is not needed -' insert into table' and Oracle will choose the correct partition to insert into.
>How bad would it really be if I created a single datafile with a very
>large initial extent?
Probably very bad.