Re: Moving databases and adding table partitions in process

From: <dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com>
Date: 2000/06/28

I have not personally done this, I am only now checking out the partition feature. However, this is the way import works. You create the tables, then run it with the parameter ignore=y, and it will ignore the error it recieves when it tries to create the table.

     As to your comment about "data values not within the specified partiton be rejected?", I assume that you are loading against the table itself, not specifing a particular partition. Then Oracle will figure out which partition to load into. Of course, you should have partitions for all values, with MAXVALUE as the top partition.

     You may want to consider moving to Oracle 8.1.6 if you can, in case there are some fixes to partitions. I know that 8.1 adds more partition features.

     Let me know how you come out.

In article <39592FF1.99010FDD_at_yahoo.com>,   CA <CA_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Running Oracle 8.0.5.2 on Solaris 2.7
> We are moving our databases to a new server, and one of the databases
> has some pretty large tables that we have decided need to have data
> purged from them, only keeping a quarters worth of data online.
>
> The best approach appears to me to build the tables with partittions,
> thus my question:
>
> Will export / import be able to accomplish this? i.e. The approach
> would like to take, would be to build the new partitons for the tables
> on the new database / server, and then import the data, hopefully
 only a
> quarters worth. Can this be accomplished via export/import? (will the
> data values not within the specified partiton be rejected?).
>
> I"ve looked thru the books, and haven't found the answer yet, but I'll
> keep digging.
> TIA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jun 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT