Re: ORA-01653: unable to extend table MILREPO.TS_CHANGES by 1598 in tablespace

From: <dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com>
Date: 2000/06/28

Ted: You sound new to Oracle. Here is a brief version of how Oracle works with tables. When you add more data to a table than is allocated, Oracle will automatically allocate more space to the table, and this is called an "extent". You can set this all up when you first create the table, or just let Oracle default. One key parameter on a table is PCT_INCREASE. By default, Oracle will create the table with a PCT_INCREASE of 50. This means that each time your table exceeds its size, the next extent is 50% larger than the last. This is a geometric progression, and is great because you just defaulted on everything and Oracle doesn't know how big your table will be. So the table starts out small and grows rapidly. However, eventually your tablespace is full and that next extent is really large. You may want to pick up a book on Oracle DBA work and learn how to manage your table sizes. Hope this doesn't sound too confusing.

In article <39500A98.F0B682DA_at_hotmail.com>,   GC <assistant_madman_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> ted nguyen wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Does anybody know how I get this message and how to get rid of it:
> >
> > ORA-01653: unable to extend table MILREPO.TS_CHANGES by 1598 in
 tablespace
> > REPOSIT_TABELSPACE
>
> Well, the error equates to:
> 01653, 00000, "unable to extend table %s.%s by %s in tablespace %s"
> // *Cause: Failed to allocate an extent for table segment in
> tablespace.
> // *Action: Use ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE statement to add one or
> more
> // files to the tablespace indicated.
>
> You've hit the limit of your tablespaces free space. Either add
 another
> datafile, increase the size of the current datafile(s), or turn
> autoextend on.
>
> Cheers,
> GC

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jun 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT