Re: killing sessions

From: <dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com>
Date: 2000/06/27

The kill isn't always immediate. For example, if there is quite a bit to roll back, it might take a little time. With distributed transactions, it gets worse. In-doubt remote transactions may have entries in the system table DBA_2PC_PENDING. The Oracle manual on Distributed Systems discusses how you can commit indoubt  transactions.

In article <8j9qo9$h33$1_at_as102.tel.hr>,
  "Dado" <dalibor.kovac_at_zg.tel.hr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have Oracle Workgroup Server 7.3.3.
>
> The situation is like this:
> Remote computer connects via modem, makes a connection to my local
 database
> and executes a stored procedure.
> A procedure accesses the remote database (Personal Oacle 7.3.3 on
 that same
> remote computer) via database link and updates a row in that remote
> database. Then it updates a row in local database, but before it
 commits the
> whole transaction the modem line breaks up and the session is left
> 'hanging'. The lock on my local table also remains and I can't do
 anything
> with it.
> I've tried killing that hanging session with 'alter system kill
 session
> ...'. I get the message 'session marked for kill', the session gets
 status
> 'KILLED', but it still remains visible in V$SESSION, and a lock still
> stands.
> The only way I can get rid of that session and a lock is to shutdown
 and
> restart the database.
>
> Is there any other way to release that lock or to kill that hanging
 session?

> Thanks!
>
> Dado

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jun 27 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT