Storage/Tuning Questions for large tables

From: <mikea730_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/27

I'm going to be setting up a database used for data collection
(inserts) and reporting. There will be very little updating.

My questions are based around two tables that will be continually collecting data via inserts. The average row size for the two tables are 50 bytes each. I expect to collect roughly +2 million rows in each table per day. The only updates that will occur to the tables is a daily delete of rows older than 40 days running a single "delete" SQL statement against each table.

  1. Any recommendations for storage allocations on these two tables? Should they have a huge initial extent?
  2. What impact will the daily deletes have on the tables? I'll basically be deleting 2 million rows a day. Could this cause problems?
    (fragmentation?) What should I watch out for?
  3. Will I need a huge rollback segments to run the deletes?

I'm running Oracle 8i on Solaris 2.7

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!
Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jun 27 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT