Moving databases and adding table partitions in process

From: CA <CA_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/06/27

Running Oracle 8.0.5.2 on Solaris 2.7
We are moving our databases to a new server, and one of the databases has some pretty large tables that we have decided need to have data purged from them, only keeping a quarters worth of data online.

The best approach appears to me to build the tables with partittions, thus my question:

 Will export / import be able to accomplish this? i.e. The approach I would like to take, would be to build the new partitons for the tables on the new database / server, and then import the data, hopefully only a quarters worth. Can this be accomplished via export/import? (will the data values not within the specified partiton be rejected?).

I"ve looked thru the books, and haven't found the answer yet, but I'll keep digging.
TIA Received on Tue Jun 27 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT