Re: Larry Ellison comments on Microsoft's benchmark

From: Blair Kenneth Adamache <adamache_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: 2000/06/27

If you want to see the power of shared nothing, look here:

    http://www.tpc.org/new_result/h-ttperf.idc

You'll see only results from shared nothing databases (DB2, Informix, SQL Server). Oracle is absent. This article is also interesting, and has posititve things to say about DB2, Oracle and Microsoft.

    http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2573101,00.html

Norris wrote:

> Do you mean only very large databases like Tandem, DB2, SQLServer can provide
> shared-nothing clustering technology?
>
> In comp.databases.ms-sqlserver Richard Waymire <rwaymir_at_ibm.net> wrote:
> > The data is partitioned across each node for key tables. If a node fails
> > any queries against the distributed partitioned view will fail (but NEVER
> > return incorrect results). Hence the recommendation to run each node in an
> > MSCS failover cluster.

> > Is shared-nothing clustering good for general systems? Ask just about every
> > VERY large system in a cluster (Tandem, DB2, etc.).

> > For an objective opinion on such matters, please read some relevant material
> > such as "In Search of Clusters" by Pfister from IBM Corp. You might also
> > look up some slides, etc. from Doctor Jim Gray
> > (http://research.microsoft.com/~gray/). Before you dismiss the site because
> > it's on Microsoft's web page, look at this credentials (including the Turing
> > award).

> > --
> > Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE+I, MCSD, MCDBA
> > "Alexander Penev" <webmaster_at_penev.com> wrote in message
> >> What do you mean? Is the data partitioned along the 12 nodes or not? Will
 the
> >> whole system fail if one of the nodes fails? Are this issues good for a
 for a
> >> general purpose system or not? That's what Ellison says and i think it's
 just
> >> true. If you think it's not please explain us why. I would not read
 hundreds
> >> of c++ code without knowing what i'm looking for...

 and
 can
 see it