Re: Can directory reference a symbolic

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: 2000/06/27

if i understand the question you are asking, and you are using an operating system like HP-UX, then the answer is no. even if it were possible, i don't see that you would want to add another layer of confusion into the file system.

it's not clear (to me) what you are trying to accomplish.

"Cory Brooks" <coryb_at_nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:v6965.11731$nZ5.162966_at_typhoon.southeast.rr.com...
> Is there a way to create a directory alias that refers to a
 symbol?
> I've tried the following: create directory dir_alias as
> '$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/mydir';
> I have a number of Oracle instances on different servers and
 want to create
> a script to define the directory that references the correct
 file for each
> instance even though $ORACLE_HOME may be different on
 different servers.