Re: Refuse DBA access to a schema?

From: Erwin Dondorp <erwindon_at_wxs.nl>
Date: 2000/06/26

"S. Anthony Sequeira" wrote:
> The customer has a DB that is run and maintained in the States,
> i.e.
> All DB Admin is done over there.
> The DB has a schema, which has highly sensitive material.
> What the customer wants, is to lock out SYS and SYSTEM, and any
> other
> DBA accounts from the application schema.
> Off the top of my head, I can think of no way of doing this.
> Any ideas?

I don't know a way to prevent it, but:

Does it scare the DBA when such an attempt is visible for his boss? (is this enough, or is that data even more sensitive than that)

In that case you might set up a tight AUDITing. Enable the AUDIT trail on at least:

- SELECTing on the sensitive tables
- All the other commands that can work on the sensitive tables
- the AUDIT command of course
	If someone changes the AUDIT rules -> hang him
- DELETE/UPDATE/INSERT on the audit trail
	If someone commits fraud on the AUDIT trail -> hang him

Replicate the audit trail to a remote database table that only allows inserts
for the remote user.
or use a file system audit trail that cannot be manipulated by the DBA. The trick in both cases is to move the audit records to another machine, well out of reach of the system's administrator.

I've not actually tried this with an Oracle database, but we did do this with a UNIX syslog once.

Erwin Received on Mon Jun 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT