Re: why does this statement take so long to return?

From: <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/06/26

In article <0f7f0410.0c464be0_at_usw-ex0104-025.remarq.com>,   gdas <gdas1NOgdSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> 1. It's a web based application. I'm shying away from doing
> any iterative processing since that creates more roundtrips
> between the
> application server and the database. If could get the answer in
> a single roundtrip it would be better (but obviously not in this
> case).

> I appreciate everyone's responses, I will also try adding the
> USE_NL hint and let you know how it fairs.
>
> Thanks,
> Gavin
>
> Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

Gavin and Dave, from my Oracle book, the hint "USE_NL" should be followed by "(the_table)" in syntax. Am I reading it wrong?

Gavin, regarding your first point, I suggest you consider having your code on the application server call a stored procedure that does the two queries Dave suggested. This way there's only one network connection from the application server to the database.

Regards,

Yong Huang

(yong321_at_yahoo.com)
(http://www.stormloader.com/yonghuang/)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jun 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT