Re: Unix or NT

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/06/25

"James Belton" <rsitest_at_freenetname.co.uk> wrote in message news:8j04c5$dos$1_at_gxsn.com...
> Every single time, I would go for UNIX!
>
> NT is only suitable for really small systems (under 20 users), that are
 not
> hit very hard and which don't need to be very robust!

Sorry, but that statement is, er... incorrect is the polite way of putting it!

Ran 8 NT servers for 2 years with 190 concurrent users and multiple databases (DB2 and Oracle) containing details of around 16 million people who were due to get free shares in a float. Fairly mission-critical as far as the company was concerned. Reasonably large loading (not gigantic, I grant you). Perfectly good up-times. We had more trouble with the server room air-conditioning than with the system load or the server reliability.

> UNIX will handle many many more users than NT will and it will stay up
 quite
> literally for years on end, whereas you can be re-booting NT several times
> week.

Not true (in general) and even less so than when I was NT administering, given the arrival of W2K. My current W2K server has been up continuously since February 17th (ie, since first install). I accept that 4 months is not 'years on end', but it's a comforting start for a new OS.

However, all that said, I would agree that Unix appears inherently *more* scalable than NT. Against that, I would perhaps suggest that Unix is inherently harder to find trained people for these days (which may be unfortunate, and a curse on Bill Gates for making it so, but IT departments have to work with what is available).

Personally, I think a lot of the trouble with NT is that is had led IT departments to believe that anyone who can click an OK button is qualified to install, configure and maintain the damn thing!

In short, it's horses for courses, and NT is not the old nag you seem to think it is!

Regards
HJR