Need setup advice, 8i on Sun E250 with 3 drives

From: root <root_at_orbmedia.com>
Date: 2000/06/24

I am interested in getting opinions on how to setup as close to an OFA compliant Oracle 8i system with only 3 drives. Details below:

I was thinking of using the drives like this:

Drive 1: Solaris system software, ORACLE_HOME and other non-Oracle software.
Drive 2: SYSTEM tablespaces, TEMPORARY tablespace, user INDEX tablespaces, archive logs and REDO logs. Drive 3: user DATA tablespaces.

If you have another opinion of how to distribute Oracle amongst the spindles, I'd like to hear. Also, was planning to use filesystem rather than raw partition for ease of maintenance.

I would also like to hear about opinions/techniques for creation of user tablespaces and index tablespaces on 3 drives and if it makes sense to create tablespaces for each user or an application or if it is common to hold many applications on one tablespace.

TIA!
root Received on Sat Jun 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT