why are statements being reparsed even with bind variables?

From: gdas <gdas1NOgdSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/06/24

I am hoping someone could lend a tip or at least point me in a general direction on what I can check since I couldn't seem to find
much on this in oracle's documentation.

I was hoping that implementing use of bind variables would reducing the amount of parsing that oracle would have to do.

I'm trying to make a batch loading module run faster.

However, after implementing the change, I did a scan of the v$sqlarea performance view and found no savings in regards to the number of parses invoked.

(I'm not exactly sure if querying this view is the best way to
check on the parse calls but it's all I could find in the oracle docs.)

Anyway, here's what it said for one statement (similar results for other statements):

"insert into frc_run
(run_id,frc_status,frcc_id,sysad_id,frc_rundate,frc_instby,frc_de
tailinf,frc_source,frc_source_type)
values(:1,:2,:3,:4,:5,:6,:7,:8,:9)"

Parse calls: "4,928"
Executions: "4,928"

Because this statement runs so frequently, I'm assuming that it would be in the shared sql area, wouldn't it? Does anyone know why it is being reparsed every single time? Or at least point me in the right direction for things to investigate?

We're running 8.1.5 on NT

Thanks for your help
Gavin

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Sat Jun 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT