Re: GETS vs. PINS

From: Julio Peixoto <cjulioNOcjSPAM_at_originet.com.br.invalid>
Date: 2000/06/23

Dear Mr. David P.

Please let me in the world of performance tuning. Let me be wellcomen too.
The subject LIBRARY CACHE AND SQL EXECUTION is still a mistery for me.
You say that " GETS means ''potential parsings of SQL statements' , GETHITS means 'realised that this SQL has been parsed already' , PINS means 'ok - this SQL was parsed before but is it actually still in the shared pool or has it been aged out'. "

Should I understand that PINS = GETHITS * GETS ?

If the statement was aged out, how does the server know that once it has been part of the library cache?

And you say " Lastly PINHITS means 'yes the parsed form was still in the shared SQL area'. " Since the guy really wants to execute the statement, should I guess that RELOADS = PINS * (1 - PINHITS) ?

Your definition " So high GETHITRATIO means good reuse of SQL per se, and high PINHITRAIO means that most of the parsed SQL is managing to stay in the shared pool section of the SGA. " enlights a lot this dark spot.

Thank you mr David P.

I'd like a lot to continue this conversation.

Excuse me for my bad english.

Julio P.

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Fri Jun 23 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT