Re: Tuning question....

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/06/23

Ender,

This seems high to me. The first thing I would ask is how well does your db seem to be performing? You might want to take the other suggestions supplied by Michael and David. If everything (db wise) is performing okay, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. It might be other non-db related things that are waiting for I/O. There are lots of other questions to answer as well. How many controllers does your disk subsystem have? Is all of your db files going through one controller? residing on one drive? What kind of channel is your disk throughput going through? We had a case once where a sysadmin had mistakenly set up a channel wrong and our throughput was terrible. He made a configuration change and everything is going well since then.

HTH,
Brian

EnderW wrote:

> Hi,
> I am probably not gonna get any reply but I should do this on general
> principles anyway. I am using the "top" command on a machine and am
> seeing 61% iowait. Now in terms machine is a Solaris 2.7 E4500. Is this
> usual ? I have an oracle instance on the machine. I am trying to tune
> it and I have started from system level to see if there is anything I
> can improve. Seems like 61% iowait seems a little high to me. It is
> probably coming from contention from disks. Question is, is this value
> normal for iowait or not ? Thnx...
>
> PS. Better be that group, I don't think sys. adm. are into tuning...
>
> --
> Ender Wiggin
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.