Re: SQL Help

From: <dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com>
Date: 2000/06/23

I haven't used Java, but the usual method is to create a cursor. The cursor contains your SQL statement. Call the cursor to move through your result set. On the Web, you have the additional problem of persistence (or lack of it). Cookies are the usual method of establishing persistence.

    To avoid sorting the result set, you might consider establishing an index on the table, with the date, table, and name. You can give Oracle a hint to have it use the index.
Hope this helps.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

In article <125e88a0.375d44dd_at_usw-ex0102-084.remarq.com>,   Naren <narendra_gurujuNOnaSPAM_at_spincircuit.com.invalid> wrote:
> Hello,
> Can any one help me come up with an sql query to return
> first 10 rows and the allow a (web) user to get next 10 rows
> from a table and so on. These rows should be order by date,
> title,name. What is a good way of doing it with out a huge
> performance hit. Can I use rownum or rank functions?
>
> The oracle version is 8i and front end is java.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jun 23 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT