Oracle8 performance problems under NT

From: Josh Sale <jsale_at_tril.com>
Date: 2000/06/22

We have a mature mostly read-only application that runs on Windows clients. It supports both SQL Server and Oracle as databases. We've had great performance from Oracle8 on various UNIX platforms but have recently been scratching our heads over poor performance on NT with 8.1.5.0.0.

To give you an idea, we've extracted 55 queries that the application performs. If we run those queries against Oracle, they take a little over 7 seconds to complete. When the exact same queries are run against the identical database using SQL Server they complete in .7 seconds! Most of the queries are simply single table queries although a few are joins. Nothing to hairy.

All of the tables have been fully analyzed. We aren't using any Hints. The explain plans look OK. We've messed around with various init.ora parameters without impacting anything. The client is connected to a lightly loaded 100mb network.

We've run a SQL trace and it shows the queries performing utilizing trivial amounts of CPU time and zero I/O. Mostof the elapsed time is accounted for as fetch time (even though none of the queries return more than a few rows).

Has anybody encountered poor Oracle8 performance on NT?

Has anybody encountered a problem collecting I/O statistics with SQL trace on NT?

TIA josh Received on Thu Jun 22 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT