Re: The disk space used by a certain table??!!

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/06/22

The overhead per row and per block is not insignificant. Without having the formula at hand, I know in an Oracle 7 table out of 2048 bytes blocksize 1889 bytes are usuable at 10 percent free. As rows upon insertion are as far as know not split between blocks, there could be wasted space.
I just created a small table in PO 8i, after analysis it appeared the used space (again at 10 percent) is 1624 bytes out of 2048 bytes. However, I have only 6 rows at 49 bytes per row.
I'm going to do some further research I believe.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

<ibm_97_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8it9pe$5os$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Thanks for your reply.
> But for my No.3 question, I mistyped. Actually the question I want to
> ask is:
> If the 'bytes' in 'dba_segments' is the allocated disk space by table
> 'tab', why is it much more than 'avg_row_len*num_rows'(even you can add
> more space for row header)? Since the pctfree is so small.
>
> Thanks again!
>

> In article <961622820.5673.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> > Answers embedded
 $nsu$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...